FORCONSULT is a consultancy unit of the College of Forestry, Wildlife and Tourism established in 1993 when the 64th SUA University Senate approved the proposal of its establishment. The unit was therefore established and operates as per Article 5 section ‘n’ under Objects and Functions of the University.The unit draws its consultants from a pool of well qualified and trained faculty members of SUA depending on the requirements of the assignment. The unit has over 70 staff with substantial experience, knowledge and skills. About 50% are PhD holders, 30% Master’s degree holders and 20% BSc holders. This is actually the largest pool of experts in natural resources and environmental research in sub-Saharan Africa.FORCONSULT also access skilled consultants from other colleges, institutes and faculties across SUA. FORCONSULT’s day to day activities are managed by the Committee of six members appointed after every three years by the College Board.
In an advisory capacity, our work is equally diverse and incorporates forestry and land use change, wildlife management and conservation, sustainable development, recreation planning, strategic policy and project management, tourism development, resource management, carbon management as well as environment and ecosystems’ management.
FORCONSULT has close contact/cooperation with other consultancy groups and individuals within and outside Tanzania. This cooperation has enabled the unit to offer services not only related to Forestry, Beekeeping and Wildlife but also to a wide range of agriculture and environment related projects in Tanzania and in other African countries.
FORCONSULT has the following objectives;
- To facilitate efficient utilization of the locally available high level manpower by allocating consultancies to competent and qualified individuals and groups (teams).
- To facilitate handling of large-scale and multidisciplinary consultancies through coordination of the wide-range forestry, beekeeping, wildlife management/conservation recreation and tourism planning expertise in the College.
- To enhance cost-effectiveness and improve efficiency while implementing projects by using the local experts who have an additional advantage of possessing local experience.
- To rationalize/optimize utilization of equipment and facilities available in the College.
- To improve financial earnings to staff and the College as a whole.